Bonfire night is one of two times a year when many people of the village get together. It has just been pouring down, the bonfire however needs constructing. The best way of doing it is over a few days but you can't do that because some joker might set it on fire before the big night.
So its before 9 in the morning, wet slippy wood everywhere. Residents have been bringing their contributions for the bonfire for the last fortnight. Someone's brought a settee, plenty of leylandii and cypress from near the butcher's shop. It's been a children's play ground for half term. I wonder about all those nails sticking out of the wood.
Volunteers spend a lot of the day constructing.
Volunteers are also in the Institute kitchen as I write preparing for tonight.
I'm not sure how much money it makes because there are big expenses.
I usually watch the fireworks from the bedroom. I sit the dog on the window sill, he's not bothered by the fireworks as many animals are. When the bangs start there is always an "exit stage left" for parents with screaming frightened children.
Bonfire night a strange celebration. If my history serves me without looking at google we are celebrating the burning of a catholic at the stake for attempting to blow up parliament.
Pretty horrible we were in those days.
I wonder how catholics feel about bonfire night? Is the tradition kept up by protestants to remind catholics of their place?
Down south they've started the tradition of burning politicians. They construct a giant effigy, this year its our prime minister David Cameron with his pig's head.
Perhaps someone can spare a space tonight on their bonfire for our dick head minister who is pushing for our RAF to fly into Syrian airspace currently controlled by Russia. Is he trying to start world War III?
Those who never learn from mistakes are bound to repeat them.
Tomorrow Remembrance Sunday..........
- ► 2017 (108)
- ► 2016 (229)
- So you want refugees to come here
- Moel Famau
- Buckley on Black Friday
- Friday Night
- World News - Jeremy has it right
- Penyffordd Wine Circle Pre Xmax Bash
- Flintshire and Wrexham joined as one?
- Penyffordd Health - Vitamins
- World Events
- Cash from Crime
- Still Spying on Yer
- Friday Night come Monday
- Speed Watch
- Council Talk
- It's dangerous out there today
- Congratulations to Steve Vaughan
- Christmas Coffee Morning & Fair
- Recent Events
- Snow Apparently
- I Spy with my little eye
- Situation Vacant
- Friday Night - Billy Joel - A good 2 hours
- Fun for all the family
- Recent Penyffordd House Sales
- Where's the kids?
- Vehicle Collisions
- Penyffordd Health - Fat Consumption
- Penyffordd Remembers the Fallen
- Institute Upgrade News
- Penymynydd Rd will be closed
- The Bonfire
- Friday Night Comes Around Quick
- Lost the Plot
- Penyffordd Bonfire Night 2015 Saturday 7th Novembe...
- Penyffordd Local Development Plan
- PENYFFORDD COMMUNITY COUNCIL MEETING – 4th NOVEMBE...
- Penyffordd Crash
- The Weather
- Penyffordd District presents.............
- Justice gets into the tax collecting business
- ▼ November (40)
- ► 2014 (250)
- ► 2013 (281)
- ► 2012 (467)
- ► 2011 (555)
- ► 2010 (763)
- ► 2009 (544)
- ► 2008 (534)