Cookie Policy

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Hydroponics


I have about 140 strawberry plants enough one supposes to feed half of Penyffordd. Suffice to say this has not happened. Hydroponics has the potential to increase crops many fold with a vast increase in taste quality.

 Although aware of hydroponics I have left it alone due to my uneasyness with what seems a chemical process. There is also the issue of growing in plastics. PVC and other plastics are used a lot in hydroponics. Plastics whilst appearing to be magic have the properties in them known as endocrine disrupters. Fish in polluted lakes in the USA are ending up with multiple sex organs. It would be fair to say I have had enough trouble with one..............So plastics in growing vegetables and storing foods need to changed. Baby items such as milk bottles offer a steady stream of endocrine disrupters, this is not a good thing.

So I am looking for a low energy 12 v hydroponic system that uses as many non plastics as possible and definitely no PVC. So we are talking porcelain and glass vessels, clay pipes, bamboo with a 12 volt led growlight system. This might be enough to get the bobby chopper hovering over my new polytunnel wondering what I am growing in the green and red light...............The market for growing mind altering substances with hydroponics seems to be a multi billion £ business, my equipment will be for veg Howie!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Custom Search

Blog Archive

Links

Feeds