Click on image to enlarge. This was Penyffordd in the 1800's.
Terrace lane was called Blackbrook Lane
There was a row of terraced houses at the start of Terrace lane where a single house now stands.
Penyffordd Train Station ( middle of village) was called Hope Station
Rhos Rd was called Rhos Y Brwyner
The Royal Oak pub was near Vaughan's Butchers.
There's a brick works off Blackbrook Lane, now called Terrace lane
The Red Lion and Millstone are on the map
Current Penyffordd Train Station was called Hope Junction
Hope Oil Works was down the line from Penyffordd Train Station (middle of village)
Oil was extracted from coal there were various factories, including one in Padeswood.
The environment in this area must have been awful, sulphorus fumes, smoke, etc
This all came to an abrupt stop in the late 1800's when the Americans started pulling oil out the ground on an industrial scale.